Wednesday, October 7, 2009

[journal]


“It is better to be making the news than taking it...”
- Winston Churchhill -

Switzerland, what have you done to me? I am so naive.

I got my hands on an English newspaper today.
The man sitting across from me on the train had it in his bag.
I decided that our common language was a bond strong enough for me to ask the favour of reading it.

I now want to make a huge statement as I say that I believe I have not been missing anything by getting absorbed in my own life and forgetting about the outside world. Is that selfish of me?

The man warned me before I read it, he did. He said it was full of bad news. He was right. I simply found it a depressing experience. That is what the English newspaper has become to me.

When I go to Switzerland, my world shrinks to my own existence. I feel so self centered and naive living that way, but it takes more motivation than I have to read about natural disasters in a foreign language. Reading the news just feels like a huge burden to me. I can only read about the recession so many times.

(Side note, here's one article that did catch my eye. It's about the Wood Schools in Denmark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment